With warm, sunny summer weather quickly approaching, we here at DAbB are really looking forward to some great summer parties. Friends, music, drinks, & BBQ – what could be better? But all the fun and festivities of a classic summer party can produce a lot of waste (and who wants that?). So here are 5 tips to reduce the waste without reducing the fun:
- Plastic drink cups can result in a huge amount of garbage, especially in larger groups where guests are apt to set a cup down and forget about it. To solve this dilemma, rent glassware from a local party supply rental company. This will eliminate all waste created by plastic cups and give your party a truly classy touch! If you don’t have a party rental store in the area, use compostable, corn-based plastic cups.
- When it comes to the food, stay local! Some of the best produce, meat, and dairy products can be found at your local farmers market. They’re fresher, tastier, and often cheaper!
- When it comes to the brew, pop for a keg or pony-keg if the group is large enough. It’s less likely that you’ll run out mid-party and you won’t have to worry about all those bottles & cans to be recycled.
- Be creative when it comes to decorations! Smooth river rocks or large leaves from your yard are a great alternative to traditional place cards. Large jars or hurricane vases can be filled with household items to make for fun custom centerpieces.
- When it comes to invites, Evites are definitely the greenest method, but may lack the personal touch you seek for your party. One solution is to scan in and email out a handmade invitation. This allows you to add a personal touch that your guests are sure to remember. Alternatively, you can also send out traditional invitations made of recycled paper & materials. The result is both memorable and eco-friendly!